Mangiare Bene, Stare Bene!
OLEVANO OLIVE OIL POTATO SALAD
This potato salad made with baby potatoes is summer picnic-friendly, and vegan, due to the lack of mayonnaise. It can be made gluten-free, also.
1/2 cup of beer � a wheat beer, pilsner or lager might be best or use gluten-free beer or wine
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil -- use Olevano Delicato, or if you prefer a strong flavor, Olevano Fruttato
1/4 cup of roughly chopped herbs -- Italian parsley is recommended, but rosemary or thyme works -- plus more for garnish
1/4 cup of roughly chopped green onions
2 TBS lemon juice
Grated peel of half a lemon
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp pepper, or more to taste
2 pounds small baby potatoes (red, white or Yukon gold, or even fingerling) scrubbed and halved or sliced into �-inch thick rounds
1 TBS salt
3 stalks of celery, chopped to desired size (we prefer pretty crescent-shaped cuts, but chop finer if you prefer)
1. Before cooking, or while the potatoes are cooking, combine beer, olive oil, herbs, green onions, lemon juice and peel, garlic and pepper in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the herbs and garlic have been chopped into little pieces.
2. Add potatoes to a pot, add salt, cover with water at least one inch higher than potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until cooked through, but not mushy, about 5 to 6 minutes. (Poke them with a fork or paring knife. The poke should go all the way through and come out easily.)
3. Reserve 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking water, then drain. Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the reserved cooking water to the blender/processor and pulse to emulsify. (Alternately: whisk the cooking water into the dressing to emulsify, in order to keep herbs more roughly chopped.)
5. Take half of the dressing and drizzle over the potatoes. Mix well. The potatoes may soak the dressing up; if so, add more dressing, to taste. Let the potatoes rest, but toss every few minutes for about ten minutes.
6. Chop celery, and add to the bowl with desired amounts of added herbs and green onion, then toss. Season with salt and additional pepper, to taste. This salad can be served warm or cold.
OPTIONAL ADD-INS: Sliced green olives. Capers. Splash of apple cider vinegar. Crispy, crumbled pancetta.
OLEVANO STRAWBERRY CAPRESE SKEWERS
Mozzarella Ciliegine (Cherry Sized Mozzarella in Water), typically comes 25-35 in a tub
Fresh Basil, full leaves or torn
Fresh Strawberries, halved or thickly sliced to a similar size as other ingredients
OLEVANO Apple Balsamic
Cocktail Picks or Blunt Toothpicks (or Long Wooden Skewers)
1. Assemble skewers: mozzarella ball first, then basil, then strawberry, then tomato.
2. Arrange on platter as desired.
3. Drizzle with OLEVANO Apple Balsamic
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Simmer balsamic until it is reduced, then cool, for a more intense flavor.
2. OLEVANO Pear Balsamic, or plain, will also taste delicious.
3. Use purple basil, or yellow tomatoes, for an extra pop of color.
OLEVANO TRUFFLED CAULIFLOWER MAC-N-CHEESE
This recipe boosts the nutrition and flavor of a potluck favorite with added veggies and luxurious truffle. And it's a ONE POT dish!
1/4 cup Olevano Truffle-Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1 small/medium onion, diced
1/4 cup of liquid (use water, or add a pilsner, lager or ale beer for extra flavor)
1 tsp salt (less if you use optional ham add-in)
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped (similar size to macaroni noodles, or larger, to taste)
2 cups dry elbow macaroni
2 cups milk (whole or skim)
2 cups water
1 slice American cheese
2 cups of shredded cheese (any kind or combination, but make at least a half cup of it cheddar)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain or panko)
OPTIONAL INGREDIENT: 1/4 lb diced ham
Cast iron or any oven-safe skillet recommended. If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, cook this in your favorite pot or pan and transfer to a casserole dish before adding the bread crumbs.
1. Pour half (2 TBS) of the Truffle EVOO into a cold pan, add garlic, heat on medium-high, and saute until garlic aroma is released. (Approximately 45 seconds. Don't let it turn brown!)
2. Reduce heat to medium, add diced onion and cook until onion is translucent or slightly golden (approximately 4 minutes)
3. Add 1/4 cup of chosen liquid, salt, pepper and mustard powder, then cauliflower, and cook for up to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add pasta, milk, water (and ham -- optional), stir immediately and frequently. Cook for one minute less than package directions. (Most packages say 9-11 minutes, therefore, cook for 8 minutes. Thicker macaronis may take longer.)
6. While pasta is cooking, pour remaining (2 TBS) Truffle evoo over the bread crumbs in a bowl and stir, then preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Taste pasta -- should be very firm, not quite al dente, slightly undercooked but not hard. Will continue to cook throughout the rest of the process. Some liquid will remain in pan.
8. Add American cheese, then shredded cheese, stirring until well blended with dish.
9. Smooth out the top of the mac-and-cheese, then sprinkle truffled bread crumb mixture on top. Bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly golden.
SERVING: Serve hot. Makes a great pot-luck item, side dish, or even a main dish if you include the ham. Can be prepared a day in advance, saving the baking step for the next day.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If you like your cauliflower to have more bite, add it halfway through the pasta-cooking process, but note it will likely make your pasta cooking time longer, so you'll want to taste as you go. Carrots, peas, butternut squash or other vegetables could be added to increase the nutritional value.
We made a gluten free version by dividing the ingredients after step 3, using 1 cup of g-free penne and replacing bread crumbs (although g-free bread crumbs should work) with more cheese. However, the same measurement of penne resulted in an excess of sauce, so we added more cooked penne before baking.
OLEVANO "CHILI ALLA VESPUCCI"
This recipe takes you "around the world," just like famous Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci, who reached the West Indies (where allspice grows) and Latin America (chili and chipotle).
4 Tbsp. Olevano Chili Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large diced onion -- yellow is fine, but red will pack more flavor
6 cloves chopped garlic
2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (3 large or 4 small breasts, 6-8 thighs, or pulled rotisserie chicken)
6 cups of chicken broth
1 dried bay leaf
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. chipotle powder (more to taste � it�s spicy! See bottom for substitution ideas)
� Tsp. ground allspice
2 Tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 Tsp. salt, or to taste
1 Tsp. pepper
� cup Olevano Apple Infused balsamic vinegar
1 28 oz. can tomatoes, with juice (if you used boxed tomatoes, throw in the whole 39 ounces!)
2 15 oz. cans of beans, drained and rinsed � red kidney beans will hold up well, but cannellini or ceci will also work � or combine two!
4 large bell peppers (green, red, yellow or orange), cut into bite/spoon sized pieces
1 large bunch of hardy and/or bitter green vegetables � kale, broccoli rabe, chard, mustard or turnip greens � chopped or torn into bite/spoon sized pieces
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil until onions are translucent or slightly golden, then place in bottom of crockery.
2. Add raw* chicken, spices, then all remaining ingredients except for greens.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4. 30-60 minutes before cooking cycle is complete, remove chicken and dice or shred; stir back into crockery, and add the greens. Complete cooking cycle on high.
5. Discard bay leaf.
*If chicken is cooked, can reduce cooking by 2-4 hours on low. If cooking on high, cook raw chicken mixture for 4-6 hours, and cooked chicken mixture for 4 hours.
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot until onions are translucent or slightly golden.
2. Add raw chicken, spices, broth and balsamic, cover, and bring to a boil. Cook on low for 20 minutes. (Dicing the chicken while raw may reduce cooking time.)
3. Remove chicken and dice or shred. Return to pot.
4. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Discard bay leaf.
SERVING: distribute into bowls � optional toppings include grated Parmesan, garlic bread and chili flakes.
SUBSTITUTIONS: Don�t keep chipotle powder in the cabinet? Combine 2 Tbsp. basic chili powder with 2 Tsp. smoked paprika, or combine some other smoked pepper like Aleppo with your chili powder. Try a different Olevano infused balsamic with a different green � like Pear balsamic with spinach! Bump up the veggie content with anything from carrots to zucchini.
OLEVANO "MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE" QUICKBREAD
Makes one 9x5-inch loaf
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 tsp "good" tequila (we used an anejo)
3/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt (we recommend full fat)
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp Olevano Red Pepper Infused extra virgin olive oil
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 TBLs ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat your oven to 325�F. Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with parchment paper on bottom and the two long sides; leave some paper hanging over the edge. Grease and flower the short sides, or use cooking spray.
Prepare your ingredients in two bowls.
In one bowl, mix milk, egg, tequila, and sour cream or yogurt, whisking together until well mixed. Add olive oil -- if you're near the bottom of your bottle of Red Pepper EVOO (egads!) you may wish to pour the oil through a fine sieve -- and mix in with creamy mixture.
Sift flour, cinnamon, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda into a larger bowl. Add sugars and salt. Whisk out all lumps while it's dry.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients all at once. Fold together until just combined.
Pour batter evenly into lined loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Pull on the parchment to release the loaf, and let cool completely on rack before slicing.
OLEVANO RED PEPPER ZUCCHINI BOAT
1 large zucchini
1/4 cup Olevano's Red Pepper Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2lb ground turkey
1 cup chopped red onion
2 Crushed garlic cloves
1 cup cooked quinoa
1T liquid smoke
2T chopped fresh parsley
1 chopped roma tomato
1. Preheat oven to 350�
2.Cut zucchini in half, long ways so that you will have two ''boats''
3. Scoop the insides of both zucchini halves, finely chop the ''guts'' and set aside in a bowl
4. Bake zucchini halves for 10mins
5. In a separate bowl, mix ground turkey, chopped onion, garlic, quinoa, cumin, and liquid smoke
6. Heat Olevano's Red Pepper Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil on low in a skillet and add chopped zucchini, parsley, and Roma tomato
7. Add ground turkey mixture to skillet and slightly brown, thoroughly mixing all ingredients
8. Stuff zucchini halves, top with grated parmesan
9. Bake for 25-30mins
OLEVANO RED PEPPER CAULIFLOWER BITES
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup Olevano's Red Pepper Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice (I used savory and basil)
A pinch of Obis One's Organic Black Garlic Sriracha Infused Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350�
2. Break cauliflower head into bite sized florets
3. Place florets in a large ziplock bag with herbs and salt
4. Drizzle your Olevano Red Pepper Infused EVOO into the ziplock bag
5. Seal the bag, and shake!
6. Empty the contents into a baking dish, and bake until golden and slightly crispy
OLEVANO LEMON POUND CAKE RECIPE