OLEVANO "CHILI ALLA VESPUCCI"
This recipe takes you "around the world," just like famous Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci, who reached the West Indies (where allspice grows) and Latin America (chili and chipotle).
|250ml Olevano Red Pepper Infused Olive Oil
Apple Balsamic Vinegar 1 Star 1-250
Back to Recipes
||4 Tbsp. Olevano Chili Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large diced onion -- yellow is fine, but red will pack more flavor
6 cloves chopped garlic
2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (3 large or 4 small breasts, 6-8 thighs, or pulled rotisserie chicken)
6 cups of chicken broth
1 dried bay leaf
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. chipotle powder (more to taste ? it's spicy! See bottom for substitution ideas)
? Tsp. ground allspice
2 Tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 Tsp. salt, or to taste
1 Tsp. pepper
? cup Olevano Apple Infused balsamic vinegar
1 28 oz. can tomatoes, with juice (if you used boxed tomatoes, throw in the whole 39 ounces!)
2 15 oz. cans of beans, drained and rinsed ? red kidney beans will hold up well, but cannellini or ceci will also work ? or combine two!
4 large bell peppers (green, red, yellow or orange), cut into bite/spoon sized pieces
1 large bunch of hardy and/or bitter green vegetables ? kale, broccoli rabe, chard, mustard or turnip greens ? chopped or torn into bite/spoon sized pieces
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil until onions are translucent or slightly golden, then place in bottom of crockery.
2. Add raw* chicken, spices, then all remaining ingredients except for greens.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4. 30-60 minutes before cooking cycle is complete, remove chicken and dice or shred; stir back into crockery, and add the greens. Complete cooking cycle on high.
5. Discard bay leaf.
*If chicken is cooked, can reduce cooking by 2-4 hours on low. If cooking on high, cook raw chicken mixture for 4-6 hours, and cooked chicken mixture for 4 hours.
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot until onions are translucent or slightly golden.
2. Add raw chicken, spices, broth and balsamic, cover, and bring to a boil. Cook on low for 20 minutes. (Dicing the chicken while raw may reduce cooking time.)
3. Remove chicken and dice or shred. Return to pot.
4. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Discard bay leaf.
SERVING: distribute into bowls ? optional toppings include grated Parmesan, garlic bread and chili flakes.
SUBSTITUTIONS: Don?t keep chipotle powder in the cabinet? Combine 2 Tbsp. basic chili powder with 2 Tsp. smoked paprika, or combine some other smoked pepper like Aleppo with your chili powder. Try a different Olevano infused balsamic with a different green ? like Pear balsamic with spinach! Bump up the veggie content with anything from carrots to zucchini.